Email from the CMO of UUH: Procalcitonin now available for ED testing to evaluate for Sepsis/SIRS.
What sort of article are we reading – how should we prepare?
- JAMA Site – Rational Clinical Examination Series
- Physical Examination and Lab Tests as Diagnostic Tests
- Systematic Review Validity
- Diagnostic Test Validity
- Study design
- Other validity items
- What can this study tell us? (what are the questions?)
- prevalence of bacteremia
- usefulness of blood cultures in detecting bacteremia
Levels of Evidence?
What evidence do we look for to answer the question?
Level 1 evidence
greater than 100 subjects, consecutive enrollment
level 2 evidence
Prospective, fewer than 100 subjects, consecutive enrollment
level 3 evidence
level 4 evidence
any study of patients looking at possible bacteremia
Likelihood Ratio Ranges/Interpretation
Derivation and Validation Sets